A FULL ZENITH CAST, 4 SHOWS, 1 BUS AND THE LARGEST ARTS FESTIVAL IN THE WORLD.
DONATE NOW TO PROJECT ZEF AND HELP US GET TO THE BIGGEST ARTS FESTIVAL IN THE WORLD
The Edinburgh Fringe Festival is the largest arts festival in the world and a melting pot for ideas, genres and inspiration. This is an ideal environment to bring young people to inspire them into going to and making theatre.
The project will involve bringing Zenith members to Edinburgh Fringe Festival for one week presenting four shows a day for one week (one musical and three plays with separate casts of approx. 8-10 in each – not chosen as yet – WATCH THIS SPACE) These plays will be performed on the Theatre Bus during its stay at the Festival. We will also be staging a small tour in culturally isolated parts of Bath and North East Somerset pre Edinburgh.
With the creation of the theatre bus by Theatre Bath it then became possible to bring Zenith Youth Theatre to the largest theatre festival in the world in an affordable venue.
THE AIMS OF THE PROJECT
- To allow a group of young people to experience and explore the largest arts festival in the world. (see members statement below)
- To demonstrate to the company how they might want to create their own work and bring it to the festival in future years
- To give the opportunity for Zenith members to perform in an international theatre festival
- Whilst performing to be in a professional environment they will be working with professional companies from around the world.
- Give the company the opportunity to stage productions they wouldn’t normally be able to present due to cast size and subject matter
- To give opportunities to some ex-members to come back after professional drama training and direct some of the productions
- To enhance the profile and reputation of Zenith Youth Theatre Company on the national and international stage.
- To create an even stronger bond between the company members with them making friend for life.
- To provide a relatively in-expensive opportunity for young people to engage with the festival.
- To expand and widen the horizons and ambitions of Zenith and getting us used to working outside of our comfort zone.
To help us make this an affordable experience we have embarked on a fund-raising campaign to raise £10,000 towards the cost of visiting the festival and staging the shows. The overall cost of the next chapter in Zenith’s book of ambitions will be in the region of £23,000 (The exact costings are subject to final plans and numbers being made in Sept / Oct this year)
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR US TO GO TO THE FRINGE
With the major cuts in arts funding and arts provision in schools it is imperative that young people are inspired and energised to explore the idea of making their own theatre without public subsidy and then presenting it to a public audience. Without this inspiration we run the risk of losing a generation of theatre makers.
Many young people who have been Zenith members visit / perform in the Edinburgh Fringe during their university careers and have always been inspired by this amazing festival. See below some statements from past members)
Here are some current and ex-members telling us why they think the fringe is important to them and us!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FROM VISITING THE FESTIVAL
- Enhanced reputation for Zenith Youth Theatre Company
- A company who are excited, enthused, and inspired about making and going to theatre.
- A stronger company bond through working and sharing a week away in the pressured environment of producing shows during a festival.
- Promotion of the quality of work that is happening with young people in Bath and North East Somerset
- Investment in future leadership of the company with director mentoring
- A small pre-Edinburgh tour of culturally isolated communities within BANES presenting the work on the Theatre Bus
- Experience in working outside of the tradition Zenith model – which will give the confidence to push the boundaries of our creative strategy
- Professional development of Zenith’s current management and production teams with lessons learnt about planning, budgets, duty of care that are outside normal policies.
- A memorable and potential life changing experience for each and every one in the company.
If you are interested in Zenith and want to help them achieve the next milestone in their 53 year history please donate to our fund-raising appeal and help us realise our ambition.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Scott on 07733242087